SVN rev: 37274 Core version: 1.15.18.0 Learn and Fun: be going to or will?

Jumat, 29 Maret 2013

be going to or will?


Look at this conversation:
      Mrs. Wells:            How old are you now, Jackie?
      Jackie:                   I’ll be eighteen next Friday.
      Mrs. Wells:            Oh, really? Are you going to have a party?
      Jackie:                   I’m going to have a meal in a restaurant with a few friends.
      Mrs. Well:             That’ll be nice.


A. Intensions and decisions

Compare:
Be going to

We use be going to for an intention
why we’ve decided):  

We’re going to have a meal. 
Neil is going to buy a new sweater.
I’m going to visit my uncle tomorrow.
     Will

     We use will for an instant decision
     (deciding at the moment of speaking):

     I know. We’ll have a party.~ Yes, good idea.
     It’s cold. I’ll shut the window.
     (NOT It’s cold. I shut the window)

     We also use will in offers and promises:
     I’ll post that letter for you.
Remember that we use be going to (and not will) for an intention:
            Max and Sarah are planning something very exciting. They’re going to sail round the world.
In this context NOT……They’ll soil round the world.

B. Predictions

Compare:
Be going to

We use be going to for a prediction based on the present situation (what we can see is going to happen):

There isn’t a cloud in the sky. It’s going to be alovely day.
The jockey can’t stay on the horse.  He’s Going to fall, look!
Will

We use will for a prediction (what we think will happen):


I’ll be eighteen next Friday.
One day people will travel to Mars.
The festival will last for ten days.


So we can use either form for a prediction:
We’re going to win the match.                          We’ll win the match.
(We’re playing really well)                               (We’ve got the best team.)

We often use be going to for an intention and will for the details and comments:
       I’m going to have a meal with a few friend. There’ll be about ten of us. ~ Oh, that’ll be nice.

We often use will with I’m sure, I think, I expect and probably:
      I’m sure it’ll be all right.                      I think we’ll get there on time
      I expect we’ll lose the match.              I’ll probably have a meal.





Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar