SVN rev: 37274 Core version: 1.15.18.0 Learn and Fun: Present Perfect and Past Simple

Senin, 07 Januari 2013

Present Perfect and Past Simple


Present perfect or past simple?
A.      Introduction
Look at this:
Sam               : we’ve bought a new car.
Kay               : we bought it last week.

Now compare:
Sam and Kay have bought a new car. Sam uses the present perfect to tell us about the past and the present. They bought the car, and it’s theirs now.
They bought the car last week. Kay uses  the past simple to tell us about the past, a time which is finished.


We do not use the present perfect with phrases like yesterday, last week, ten years ago.
NOT they’ve bought the car last week.

B.      I have done/I did
Compare:
PRESENT PERFECT
We use the present perfect to talk about the past  and the present:
-          Jane has packed her case, look.
-          United have won the cup.
PAST SIMPLE
We use the past simple to talk about the past.

-          Jane packed her case last night.
-          United won the cup in 1989.

The present perfect tells us about the present. There is a present result of a past action:
Jane has packed all her case. (So the case is full now.)
United have won the cup. (So the cup is theirs now.)
Tim has repaired the chair. (So the chair is alright now.)

But the past simple does not tell us about the present:
Jane packed her case last night. (Her things may not be in the case now.)
United won the cup in 1989. (United may not have the cup now.)
Tim repaired the chair. (It may be broken again now.)

We often give a piece of news in the present perfect and use the past simple for the details:
I’ve found my wallet. ~ Oh, good. Where did you find it?
Someone has left this door open. ~ I expect Phil did when he went out.
Your parcel has arrived. The postman brought it this morning.

We often use just, already and yet with the present perfect:
      I’ve just remembered something.
      The bus has already left.
      Has Tom replied to your letter yet?
But Americans sometimes use the past simple:

      I just remembered something.
      The bus already left.
      Did Tom reply to your letter yet?
C.      I’ve been /I was
Compare:
PRESENT PERFECT
We use the present perfect for a state which has gone on up to the present:
      We’ve lived here for ten years.
      (And we still live here.)
      I’ve had this briefcase for ages.
      (And I’ve still got it now.)
      Emma has loved Bali since she first saw it.
      (And she still loves it now.)
PAST SIMPLE
We use the past simple for a state in the past in a period which is finished:
     We lived there for ten years.
     (We don’t live there now.)
     I had a briefcase once. I don’t know if I’ve still got it.
     Emma loved Bali when she first saw it.
D.      Have you ever …?/Did you ever …?
Compare:
PRESENT PERFECT
We use the present perfect for actions in a period of time up to the present:
     This young producer has made four films so far.
(He’s made films means that is possible he will make more films.)
     We liked climbing. We’ve climbed this mountain many times.
     Have you ever been to America? ~ Yes, I’ve been there Twice.
     I’ve played volleyball before.
PAST SIMPLE
We use the past simple for actions in the past, a period which is finished.
     The producer made lots of films in his long career.
(He made films means that his career in films is over. He won’t make anymore.)
     My Grandparents liked climbing. They climbed this mountain many times.
     Did Churchill ever go to America? ~ No, I don’t think so.
     I played volleyball at collage.
E.       Today, this week etc.
We use today and phrases with this for a period up to the present:
PRESENT PERFECT
It hasn’t rained today.
Have you seen this week’s magazine?
PAST SIMPLE
It rained yesterday.
Did you see last week’s magazine?
But note these examples:
I haven’t seen Jody today.
(it’s still day time)
Has the post come this morning?
(It is still morning)
I didn’t see Jody at school today.
(the school day is over)
Did the post come this morning?
(it is later in the day)

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar